If clause + main clause
If+ past perfect + would / could / might + present perfect
If I had understood the lesson, I would have approved the test.
If he had found the key, he would have opened the door.
ACTIVITIES ( www.busyteacher.org)
- Underline the correct form of the verbs.
- If he hadn’t committed a crime, he wouldn’t be / wouldn’t have been arrested.
- If the hotel hadn’t been so expensive, we would have stayed / stayed / will stay there.
- We arrived / will arrive / would´ve arrived on time if we hadn’t got lost.
- I would have visited / would visit / will visit him if I had known that he was in hospital.
- If you didn’t leave / hadn’t left the door open, the dog wouldn’t have eaten our lunch.
- The holiday would’ve been / was / would be great if the weather had been better.
- Write the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
- If they _______________ (close) the gate, the dog wouldn’t have got out.
- They would’ve let us in if you _______________ ( not lose) the tickets.
- He _______________( not see) us if you hadn’t made a noise.
- I _______________(buy) a present if I had known it was your birthday.
- If the pilot _______________(not be so experienced, the plane would have crashed.
- You _______________(pass) your driving test, if you hadn’t been so nervous.
- Rewrite the sentences using the third conditional.
- He drank a lot so he had an accident.
If he _______________________________________________________
- I fell down the stairs because it was very dark.
If it ________________________________________________________
- Carol felt sick because she forgot to take her medicine.
- His parents were cruel to him so he ran away.
- I got up late because my alarm clock didn’t ring.
- wouldn’t have been
- would have stayed
- would’ve arrived
- would have visited
- hadn’t left
- would’ve been
- had closed
- hadn’t lost
- wouldn’t have seen
- would’ve bought
- hadn’t been
- would’ve passed
- hadn’t drunk so much, he wouldn’t have had an accident.
- hadn’t been so dark, I wouldn’t have fallen down the stairs.
- wouldn’t have felt sick if she hadn’t forgotten to take her medicine.
- wouldn’t have run away if his parents hadn’t been cruel to him.
- my alarm clock had rung, I wouldn´t have got up late